CMU College of Makeup Art & Design was born as a world-class makeup school in 1987. As a pioneer in this highly specialized field, CMU offered diverse courses that quickly led to the college’s widespread recognition within the makeup industry.
In 2007, Pamela and Richard Earle acquired CMU. As President, Pamela brought her background in education to the college. She standardized the curriculum and continues to focus on innovations in the makeup field to ensure students receive current and cutting edge technical training.
In January 2012, C MU’s twenty-fifth year of operation, the college moved to its current home, The Old Fire Hall at 110 Lombard Street. Built in 1886 and considered one of the city’s major historical jewels, the Old Fire Hall was the home of the legendary Second City Comedy troupe from 1974-1997 and Gilda’s Club from 2001- 2011. The striking red brick building is highlighted by a turret and its large bay windows.
Many of the Old Fire Hall’s historic elements were sensitively renewed including the dramatic three story central staircase, brick walls and wooden doors thanks to Maureen O’Shaughnessy of CS&P Architects Inc. To provide an intimate and focused learning environment for its students, the interior, painted in heritage hues of dove gray, now features eight state-of-the-art classrooms, a photography studio, and exhibition space for displays of student and faculty work.