International Students

A World-Class Education

CMU accepts students from every corner of the world. We’re happy to guide international applicants with everything from applying for a study permit to obtaining health insurance.

All prospective international students are now required to carefully review our COVID-19 Resources and Guidance to safely travel to Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Academic Requirements

To apply to CMU, you must either:

  • Have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma or its equivalent, or
  • Be 18 years of age or older and pass a SLE (Scholastic Level Exam)

Study Permits

If you are accepted into CMU, a confirmation of enrolment letter and a registration package will be sent to you via email and mail. Once you receive this package, you will need to apply for a study permit. Study permits are required for all diploma programs except for the Digital Makeup Effects: Creature & Character Design Program. Study permits are not required for our certificate programs or for programs that are 6 months or less in duration.

To find out if you are eligible for a study permit, click here.

For study permit processing time by country, click here.

To apply for a study permit, click here.

Financial Assistance

Canadian student loans are not available for international students. Please contact your government’s Ministry of Education to find out more about student loans in your country.

Health Insurance

As an international student studying in Ontario, you must be covered by a private health insurance plan for services such as doctor visits, hospital stays and treatment, examinations, and emergency services. Alternatively you can arrange for your own international medical insurance from home. You must provide CMU with proof that you have health insurance coverage for the duration of your studies.

Health insurance policies can be purchased by visiting Study Insured and Guard Me insurance websites.

Employment Opportunities

CMU is a Canadian Designated Learning Institute. This means that international students who have study permits may work off campus up to 20 hours per week.

International students who attend a private college in Canada (excluding the province of Quebec) are not eligible for a post-graduation work permit. Because of this, they are not able to work in Canada after they have completed their studies.

Please note: The information on this website does not constitute legal or immigration advice. It is each individual student’s responsibility to ensure they are in compliance with all laws and regulations. Students may choose to contact a law firm for independent legal or immigration advice.

Ready to start your journey with CMU?